Lithuania

 
TOWN HALL (ROTUŠĖ)

Often called the White Swan, the Town Hall’s construction was begun in 1542. The building encompasses Gothic, Baroque and early Classicism elements. In the Medieval Ages, the Town Hall, along with the main market place, was the centre of Kaunas. After its latest reconstruction in 1970, the Town Hall became the Wedding Palace with the Ceramics Museum in its basement.

 
 
 
KAUNAS CASTLE (KAUNO PILIS)

In the 14th century, a stone castle was built at the confluence of the Nemunas and Neris rivers to resist ...
More >>
 
 
ST. FRANCIS XAVIER CHURCH AND JESUITS' MONASTERY (JĖZUITŲ BAŽNYČIA IR VIENUOLYNAS)

The church was constructed in late Baroque style in the early 18th century. In 1787, the church was given to ...
More >>
 
 
ARCH-CATHEDRAL BASILICA (ARKIKATEDRA BAZILIKA

It is the only church in Lithuania in the Gothic style of basilica design. After several reconstructions, it also acquired ...
More >>
 
 
HOUSE OF THUNDER (PERKŪNO NAMAS)

It is one of the most original and impressive examples of flamboyant Gothic architecture in Lithuania. The building was constructed ...
More >>
 
 
VYTAUTAS CHURCH - THE CHURCH OF TAKING HOLY VIRGIN MARY INTO THE HEAVEN (VYTAUTO BAŽNYČIA - ŠVČ. MERGELĖS MARIJOS ĖMIMO Į DANGŲ BAŽNYČIA)

The church was constructed in the 15th century. It is one of the first Gothic brick buildings in Kaunas. The ...
More >>
 
 
VILNIAUS STREET (VILNIAUS GATVĖ)

It is the most beautiful street of the Old Town, meant for pedestrians. Most buildings have survived from the 16th ...
More >>
 
 
AVENUE OR FREEDOM (LAISVĖS ALĖJA)

This 1.7 km-long street was built in the 19th century. Laisvės Avenue, connecting the new and old parts of the ...
More >>
 
 
KAUNAS MUSICAL THEATRE (KAUNO VALSTYBINIS MUZIKINIS TEATRAS)

Originally the State Theatre, it was built in 1892. In 1940 the Musical Theatre was based in this building. Now, ...
More >>
 
 
MONUMENT TO VYTAUTAS THE GREAT (VYTAUTO DIDŽIOJO PAMINKLAS)

Sculptor: V. Grybas. Erected in 1990 in commemoration of the 560th anniversary of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas.
More >>
 
 
STATUE OF LIBERTY (LAISVĖS PAMINKLAS)

Sculptor: J. Zikaras. Inaugurated in 1928, it is the symbol of Lithuanian Statehood. Destroyed during the Stalinist regime, it was ...
More >>
 
 
GARDEN OF VYTAUTAS MAGNUM WAR MUSEUM (KARO MUZIEJAUS SODELIS)

Monumental busts of famous Lithuanian politicians and writers line the alley leading to the Eternal Flame, and wooden crosses commemorate ...
More >>
 
 
KAUNAS CARILLON (KAUNO KARILIONAS)

This is a specific musical instrument played outdoors, consisting of a set of chromatically tuned bells. The carillon bells are ...
More >>
 
 
  A. MICKEVIČIUS VALLEY (A. MICKEVIČIAUS SLĖNIS)

The stone, where poet A. Mickevičius loved to sit and create poems, lies in the valley surrounding the Girstupis stream.
More >>
 
 
KAUNAS ZOO (KAUNO ZOOLOGIJOS SODAS)

The only Zoo in Lithuania was established in an old oak grove. Here you can see approximately 270 animal species ...
More >>
 
 
PAZAISLIS ANSEMBLE OF THE CHURCH OF HOLY VIRGIN MARY AND CAMALDOLLI ABBEY (PAŽAISLIO VIENUOLYNAS)

It ranks among the most beautiful Baroque-style buildings in Lithuania. The church and monastery were built for Camaldolese (Benedictine) monks ...
More >>
 
 
KAUNAS SEA REGIONAL PARK (KAUNO MARIŲ REGIONINIS PARKAS)

Kauno Marios (Kaunas Sea) is a man-made water basin covering an area of 63.5sq.km. It was formed in 1959, after ...
More >>
 
 
KAUNAS MONUMENTAL CHRIST’S RESURRECTION CHURCH (KAUNO PAMINKLINĖ KRISTAUS PRISIKĖLIMO BAŽNYČIA)

It is the biggest basilica-type church in the Baltic states. The church was built in 1932–1940. After Lithuania proclaimed independence ...
More >>
 
 
RAUDONDVARIS CASTLE (RAUDONDVARIO PILIS)

The town was first mentioned in Teutonic chronicles in 1392. The old castle was rebuilt after the battle of Grunwald ...
More >>
 
 
J. NAUJALIS MEMORIAL MUSEUM (J. NAUJALIO MEMORIALINIS MUZIEJUS)

The majority of the museum collections compromises exhibits connected with the life and public activity of Juozas Naujalis, such as ...
More >>
 
 
"AB" PRINTING-HOUSE ("AB" SPAUSTUVĖ)

The printing- house was a branch of the underground resistance press of the Military Museum. Prohibited literature manifesting ideas of ...
More >>
 
 
BOTANICAL GARDEN (BOTANIKOS SODAS)

In this oasis of parks, small bridges and natural beauty, visitors can view different medicinal herbs and decorative plants.
More >>
 
 
ST. MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL CHURCH (ŠV. MYKOLO ARKANGELO KAUNO ĮGULOS KATALIKŲ BAŽNYČIA (SOBORAS)

A Neo-Byzantine-style building with all the architectural traits of a Russian Orthodox church. It was designed by Russian architects and ...
More >>
 
 
HISTORICAL PRESIDENTIAL PALACE OF LITHUANIA (ISTORINĖ LR PREZIDENTŪRA KAUNE)

The history of the Presidents’ Palace in Kaunas begins in 1846. The building was renovated in 1998–2003 and is open ...
More >>
 
 
VYTAUTAS MAGNUS BRIDGE (VYTAUTO DIDŽIOJO TILTAS)

The original bridge on wooden poles was built in 1812. It was used by Napoleon’s Army fleeing from Russia. There ...
More >>
 
 
ŽEMAITKIEMIS MANOR (ŽEMAITKIEMIO DVARAS)

The manor is situated on the right bank of Nevėžis, approximately 2km to the southwest from Babtai. The manor was ...
More >>
 
 
MONUMENT TO DANIELIUS DOLSKIS

Sculptor: R. Kvintas. Erected in 2007 in memory of the first popular singer of Lithuania.
More >>
 
 
KAUNAS FUNICULARS

Kaunas is the only city in Lithuania with this type of transport. In the residential districts of Žaliakalnis and Aleksotas ...
More >>